Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Moon Canto



Surely you heard of Sofy by now.
She was the tester whom I had the honor to work with.
Photographied here in Japan, next to a sketch she did.
Even though it was made in paint, it certainly has a feel of pencil on paper.
Props for the drawing Sofy, and keep the drawings coming lass.

Me and Sophie had the habit of stopping by at the grocery store on ground floor of where we were working.
We knew very well lwhat we were hunting there.
Croissants.
Every morning.
They would come out of the hoven at the precise time we would get to work.
As fresh as they would (and could) be.
But still.
They were grocery croissants all baked together in one huge batch.
The baker was also french. I don't know what it is, but the croissants outside of France are just not the same.
You may import the baker, but the taste remains in France no matter what.
Is it because we cannot grasp the details in the recipe, or the love required?
I don't know, I feel that any food (or drink for that matter) cannot be taken out of its context and packaging else the true taste is lost.
We all know what Coke should taste like.
That's right, is a glass bottle.
Croissants the same way, shouldn't be stored in plastic, or should not be stored at all, but eaten no more than 20 minutes after their conception.
Where I lived in France, there was a bakery right under my window, and I must tell you, the smell does have attracting powers.
I would get out at 6 am, get outside for my daily croissants quest, eat them in the most hectic way, and go back to bed for another 3 hours.
It was simply worth it.
I just don't expect a croissant to be as good here. Why?
The experience aquired from enjoying something I really like.

On the exact opposite, France cannot boast for a lot of things we have here.
Even their ketchup doesn't taste right.
Selection of chips? Two flavours. Regular, and Ketchup. (Has that changed Greg?)
Not many chocolate bars either. Mars, Lion, Kit-Kat, Kinder, and what else? ...Not much except the high quality ones.
They probably eat too right to have as much trash food as we do.
But...I don't want to hear them calling their burgers or pizza American style.
Goat cheese with asparaguses and viennese ham is not very American.
Fast Food lives here!
Like I said, you may try, but you can't export the taste.
Nor the correct ingredients.
Bacon isn't the same in Europe. They're 'lardons.' (nearly as good, but assuming a less attractive form.) I0d3 knows about them. (He told me he got fed up after a while)
The same applies to a lot of things.
Just keep in mind that when you go in an Indian restaurant for instance, you might get the traditionnal recipes long forgotten there, but you will certainly not get the real things they eat there. (ask Rock Ray, he certainly concurs)
So, be glad of what you eat wherever you are. And, be conservative for anything about food.
The real taste of a certain food, is in the country that invented it.
That being said.
Lates.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Gregory Belacel said...

Couple of comments :)

First, about the croissant and thing like that, a patisserie open not far from where I live. The owner his French and has a patisserie from France, so I know what is doing. And I have to say that everything is doing is almost as good as in France. Thing like the chouquette, Paris-Brest, St-Honore and Flan are nothing short of amazing. But himself says that some of the recipes doesn't taste the same because the ingredients here and in France are sometimes different. But it's still possible to find some very good stuff around here almost as good as in France. Like for everything, you have to now the right place.

And for the chips varities in France, well I wasn't eating much chips while I was in France, so I don't remember. I just remember that the brand Vico, the king of chips potatoes, were pretty good. As for chocolate bars, well, we have many thing that are far better than that, which is probably why we don't need things like Coffe Crips, O-Henry etc... kind of chocolate bars there's here.

But yeah, every food is different in every country and too dishes in two different country will taste different. But remember that everything taste better in France, because we are the world leader in gastronomy :D (for those who don't know me, I am French, so I have to be arrogant when talking about food :p)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Genotzarr said...

I see you agree with me everywhere.
Like you said, croissants here are almost as good as in France.
If your Chef is French, you achieve "almost as good".

6:43 AM  
Blogger i0d3 said...

Damn Right about "Lardon" (chunky 1cm wide by an inch long strips of baconny goodness, at least in the begining)

Meat was so expensive there, that you had to put lardon every where (spaghetti sauce, Pizza for example)

Pizza : Peperroni doesn't exist there it Ham all the way with raw mushrooms and artichaut hearts...

Chips : When I was there "Crocky" chips became "Lays" and instead of BBQ flavor they had Paprika...

Although Saucisson, Multitudes of cheeses, Canard Confit, foie Gras... and wine... All so good and very inexpensive (sigh) I discovered Cassoulet (french version frank & beans simmered in goose fat = sounds disgusting but far from it)...

All this talk about food reminds me that it's lunch time ;p

Jf!

9:11 AM  
Blogger sofy said...

Thanx a bunch Louis for puttin up my stuff,you're a sweetheart! :)

Altough I'm far from being as good as you,Viv and Frank.... But I'm getting my pencils rdy and will draw again,i have to let go of my '3d only'. And go back to the good pen/pencil/waccom/photoshop.

About the food, indeed i miss our croissants frush matinals ! But one day i'll go to France and taste the real stuff!

A la bouffe! RAwrRrr!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Gregory Belacel said...

Yeah, I forgot, I wanna talk about the lardon... how dare you compare it to bacon. Lardons taste way better in my opinion than bacon. Salade with hot lardon is awesome (and eventually with crouton and hot goat cheese :D ). I tried it here with bacon and it's not the same.

That the only thing I really miss from France... the food.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Genotzarr said...

Lardons are not as good as real Bacon.
And yes, you can compare them, they are the same meat from the same animal.
The only thing that differs is the cut, and the method of smoking the strips.
Bacon is just more convenient, and has a more pronounced taste.
It is flat, and you can put it in a BLT as well as in a burger.
Lardons are not as ergonomic.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Nichiren said...

Ergonomic FTW !!!!

bacon i love you

nuf said :P

12:08 PM  
Blogger Vivian R. said...

Ahahahahaha!!!!!!

What kind of conversation is this????? hahaha..... Lardon, Bacon, Bacon, Lardon!!!!!..... You guys really makes me laugh this morning!!!!!!

In India, there was NO bacon so cheer up for what you goT!!!!

Personnally I like bacon but never taste Lardon.... one day maybe!

V.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Bluemonarch said...

LMAO, like Poutin in Vancouver: fries, chedder and HP BBQ sauce! lmao....not the same thing at awll!
Wow, France...*sigh...one day, I will get to kno it.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Vivian R. said...

Your are right Blue monarch,its good but not the same... I went to Edmonton back in 1999 and there was this little restaurant that had poutine and they called it: La poutiné... not as good as in motreal but still....appreciated.

Sofy, just continue to put experiences points into your drawing skills.... Maybe its less faster than into videogames but much more valuable!!!! Patience and perseverance are your new clothes!!!

V.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Genotzarr said...

Yo Viv, take me to motreal one day.
I'd like to visit.
or did you mean?
Moth real?
And, Sofy, put As many points in gaming as in drawing.
They are both JUST AS valuable.
(Big (amical)slap in Viv's back, followed by an intrusion in his room, and a finger sweep under his chin (in a rough manly way)as he follows to check what the fuck I'm doing.)

12:07 AM  
Blogger sofy said...

Will do !
Thx Louis,Viv.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Vivian R. said...

My little rat Louis!!! héhéhé...

I'm gonna find a counter against this kind of persecution(finger attack).... I'm gonna let a big dirty and oily beard just on my chin and neck .... that way, no chance you gonna risk yourself to compromise your health by doing a dirty trick!!!!

Hey, lets go to Moth-Real right now!!!!

One day we gonna go Louis!!!! One day.

TX..

V.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home